Friday, October 8, 2010

Project 3 - Surrealism

I chose Surrealism as my subject for Project 3.  Of all the topics, I found it to be the most intriguing because of the dream-like, unusual, and sometimes disturbing images.  It certainly kept my interest as I researched Surrealism in depth.  The following slide is my title slide.  The background features one of the most famous Surrealist paintings titled The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali.  I went for a different background for my title slide because I felt the painting was so representative of this movement and gives a quick idea of what to expect from Surrealism.














I created a simple template for the rest of the presentation purposely because the artists works were generally very complicated.  I felt simple would be appropriate.  Surrealism features extremely unusual and non sequitur images.  Generally, most people struggle to understand the purpose behind Surrealist art.  I think this is because such art is so out of the ordinary that finding the story or message behind the image can be difficult to interpret.  Once I was able to read into the art and the artists, I gained a much better idea of what Surrealism represents.  The slide below shows common themes of Surrealist art.













Of all the major Surrealist artists, I enjoyed the work of Salvador Dali and Joan Miro the most.   Dali's work was very versatile.  Some of his works were very beautiful while some were extremely disturbing. Regardless, he was constantly catching my attention.  Miro's work was quite different from most other surrealist artists as he used a variety of bright and bold colors making each image pop.   The  final slide below shows a piece of work from each artist (Dali's image is to the left; Miro's image is on the top).




I enjoyed doing this project because of everything I learned.  I wasn't very familiar with most kinds of art, so this gave me a great opportunity to learn about something new.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love the layout that you created and I LOVE the painting on the title page. On these slides, the information is really well organized and easy to digest but still interesting to look at. Looks like you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete