Thursday, September 9, 2010

Positive/Negative Space - Hiroshi Sugimoto

I'm taking CAT 120, a Digital Photography course at AACC.  In class last night, my professor was discussing different elements of composition.  One of the images he showed us was by an artist named Hiroshi Sugimoto.  This image caught my attention because it reminded me of the project we are currently working on for CAT 111.   After doing a bit of research on this photographer, I noticed he plays with positive and negative space in most of his photographs (similar to what we are trying to do for Project 2).  His work includes both simple and complex images--all of which are absolutely amazing. Above are a couple examples of his work.  If you enjoy his photos as much as I do, you should check out his web site: http://www.sugimotohiroshi.com/.

2 comments:

  1. Looking at these pictures really makes me appreciate them more knowing what I'm looking at. I've seen similar pictures like these throughout life, but never really looked at them the way I do now knowing what positive and negative space is. When you look at something and don't really know what it is you can't get a for what makes it special and unique. I'm glad you shared these photos. Christy Steeves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I always thought these types of photos were interesting, but they never caught my attention the way they do now that I've learned a bit about positive and negative space. It's really great to be able to appreciate new things throughout life.

    ReplyDelete