Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Arnold Newman

I love how my classes are relating so well.  My topic for Project 3 is surrealism.  One of the most influential surrealist artists during it's movement was Salvador Dali.  This week in my Digital Photography class, I had to choose a portrait photographer and explain why I like (or dislike) his photos.  My photographer of choice was Arnold Newman, a portrait photographer famous for taking pictures of famous actors/actresses, artists, political figures, etc.  While looking at all of his amazing photos, I came across one he took of Salvador Dali.  What intrigued me so much about the image is Newman's main concept seems to be telling a story about each individuals lifestyle, carreer, passion, etc with his photos.  For example, he photographed Lenard Bernstein (2nd image below), an American conductor/composer/pianist, with a theatre fit for an orchestra behind him.  He did the same with Salvador Dali (1st image above) by giving him an abstract background.
Leonard Bernstein, Philharmonic Hall, New York, 1968 by Arnold Newman

1 comment:

  1. Amazing photographs. I'm a super-novice when it comes to most things art-related, so thanks for the look into this artist. And it's really neat (and kind of serendipitous!) that what you're doing in one class is relating to another that way. :)

    ReplyDelete